Original Research Contributions
The big change under the HDI auspices is the fact that original researchers will be able to contribute valuable information to this second-generation of the project. This will streamline the process of expanding and distributing this already-vast library of valuable off-grid content and information.
The librarian is a special off-grid artificial intelligence designed to help users conduct complex research in the local database as well as enabling things like on-demand fact checking. Check out the librarian’s page to see more about how it works.
The Cyberpony Express
The library as well as the librarian will run on a piece of local infrastructure called the Cyberpony Express. This system also includes special radio equipment for automatically monitoring things like emergency alerts and weather reports while also enabling long-range communications between intentional communities without needing any access to the internet.
Similar Project Examples
- Anna’s Library, etc: there are many large repositories of books and information which aim to preserve and protect human knowledge in digital form. These include Sci-Hub, LibGen, Z-Lib, and more. While our library project is focused on collecting and distributing open-source, properly licensed content; many similar projects are focused instead on preserving all knowledge.
- Appropedia: an encyclopedia of appropriate technology.
- Ardbark: a large online library of content for preppers.
- CD3WD Project: a non-profit initiative that provides free access to a vast library of technical documents and other relevant information to support sustainable development efforts.
- Low Tech Magazine: a site about past and often forgotten technologies and how they can inform sustainable energy practices.
- List of similar sites